Tuesday, December 17, 2019

The National Gallery

While in England my husband and I, along with our daughter and grandson, visited The National Gallery.


It was a cool March day but there were lots of people about.

It was morning, just before lunch.

The entrance.

This is what I wanted to show you.

Beautiful mosaics.

I had to take photos of as much as I could.

Wonderful detail.

In corners.

Circular.

I do wonder now what the little tiles are made of.

Who designed these mosaic pictures?

One just has to stop and look.

You see? It was a mosaic floor. I'm sure thousands of people walk on them every day, every week, month after month. I had to take photos even though my husband and daughter kept walking. I'm glad that cameras were allowed.

4 comments:

  1. Such detail. soft colours, and to think they are trod on and walked over millions of times. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colours. Could they be just natural stones in all thise shades? It must have taken such a long time and hard work to complete the artist's designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there on my first trip to England but of course had forgotten what it looked like. Thank you for refreshing my memory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the National - my favourite painting is of Lady Jane Gray. The silk of the gown - so beautiful and sad. Then there are the George Stubbs horses. Not been for many years. Even the medieval painings are so bright with beautiful colours. Have to admit, I didn't notice the floor - maybe that's new? I'm sure I would have done - like Roman tesserae - so thank you for the photos. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.