Since I'm the one who sews in this family, I am asked at times to repair items of clothing and other things. Most things don't take long at all and I am happy to help since it prolongs the use of the item.
My granddaughters wear a lot of stretch leggings and sometimes they get small holes in them.
At times I sew up the hole and at other times, I am asked to cut off the legs so they become shorts.
These then become useful to wear under a dress.
Once upon a time a quilt store, that has now been closed for years, had a Buck-a-Block monthly block program. You were to pay $1.00 a month (plus purchase a set of Thangles for $6.00) and then you were given a little bag that held pre-cut fabric, instructions and a pattern. The Thangles package held papers to make half square triangles that were 1.75 inches finished.
This is the last quilt block that was in a bin. It wasn't even started.
This block of the month took place in 2009 with the last installment being January, 2010.
There were two fabric options. One was blues with creme and one was vintage 1930s reproduction fabric and, even though blue is my favourite colour, I opted for the prints - just for something different.
In order to get the next installment for $1.00, you had to complete the block and bring it into the store. If you missed a month, you had to pay $5.00 and if your block was not completed, you had to pay $5.00. I made sure that my blocks were completed each and every month. I don't know how I will finish the quilt but at least they are all done now. If you haven't tried Thangles, you should. It's an easy way of making a bunch of HSTs (half-square triangles.) The fabrics in the 'kit' were pre-cut to the 2.25 inch strip and there was always enough fabric. All the maker had to do was put the two fabrics right sides together and lay the paper on top - pinning well. Sew on dotted lines and cut on the straight lines. Easy and quick. The instructions showed you how to put the pieces together to form the various blocks.
Well, at least these are now done and they are back in the bin with other fabrics that I had put aside that were either 1930's fabrics or ones that were very similar.
Sort of another UFO completed. Now I am off to knit a rainbow baby blanket and start sewing a quilt. I also have some cross stitch to get done.