At the moment we have three grandchildren who live close by and we get to see them fairly regularly. My husband loves to do various activities with them like making instant chocolate pudding. We now have finger paints and paper. The little ones have always had to wear one of my aprons but they are way too big on two year olds. So, my husband requested child-sized aprons.
I made two of these little fat quarter aprons for the twins' birthday last fall. I got half a metre of the chili fabric on sale and when I cut it, because it was a half metre and not a half yard, I had enough fabric for the neck strap. The ties were made from broadcloth that I had and the bias was in my stash too.
There is one pocket in the middle made from the quarter circles that I cut for the arm sections. This pocket is doubled and then the curved part is flipped down. These aprons reside at the twins' home and I needed to make some more.
I used the same pattern and once again, I only used a single fat quarter for each apron so that they aren't reversible. The pattern and tutorial are here
I did wonder at first what fabrics I was going to use for the aprons but then I remembered that I had quite a few fat quarters that I wasn't too keen on using in quilts. I decided to use double fold bias binding for the ties and the neck portion. I have quite a few packages of bias binding to use up so everything came from my stash and I didn't have to buy anything for these little aprons.
Hard to see, but there are two pockets in the front. Once again, I used the quarter circle parts that get cut off the fat quarter for the arm portion. This time I folded the rounded part to the reverse of the fabric and just sewed it down so these pockets are triangles.
The colours are not true in this photo but they are close. It was fun to go through my buckets of bias binding to find the ones I wanted to use.
I didn't have enough of the navy blue bias binding to finish off the pockets but, since there was red in the fabric, I used my red bias.
I must say that these were fun to make. While I did fold up the selvage on the hem of one of the aprons, I decided to leave the other two 'as is.' Mainly because the selvages didn't have any writing on them.
I got to use up all my navy blue bias binding and all of this turquoise one too.
Here they are all together. I have no scraps left. All of the fat quarter got used up and I'm now off to do something else - like hand quilting.
This is the other end of the quilt that's on the frame.
Once these two blocks have been quilted as far as I can reach, I can take a couple of turns. I really think I should concentrate on this so I can get it off the frame and put something else on.
It's cold out and I'm staying in to put some stitches in this.