Thursday, February 22, 2018

All done - almost

I finally got a chance to iron some fusible appliques down.

The latest BOM from Fat Cat Patterns is called Gnome for the Holidays. This is the first installment. It's ironed down but not yet sewn. I'll get to it. All my gnome bodies are made from various checks and plaids that I have.

This is what I'll be working on at Marg's tonight.

This is the one that Marg is quilting.

Friday, February 16, 2018

Checking it off the list

I have a quilt almost ready to go on the frame. First though, I want to get some things crossed off my 'list of list things to do.' The list is sewing and knitting related. It's not a neat list by any means. There are times when I cross off one thing only to have to add two more things. I'm almost finished for the time being because there are some things that can wait.

These are fabrics that will be made into aprons for the little ones. Apparently, Patric, my grandson, needs a new apron. I asked his mom what he would prefer and it's either the pickles or the pretzels. I have some dark green double fold bias tape that I can use to finish the edges of the pickle fabric and I may have enough brown for the pretzels. The apron just takes one fat quarter and has no waste.

I purchased some of this fabric.

I thought one of my grandsons would like a new pillowcase.

Fabric with construction vehicles caught my eye and so I got enough for another pillowcase.

Flannel was on sale and so I decided to get some co-ordinated fabric for two more pillowcases.

Here's a close-up of the fabric. Teemu is now in a big bed and since I don't have time, right now, to make him a quilt, I thought he might like his very own fun pillowcases.

I have this pattern. It's an older pattern but it's come in handy lately. For Christmas, I made most of the little ones their own hooded towel. My youngest daughter, who lives in England, has a little boy and I asked her if she wanted a half circle pillow.

It's all sewn up and in the mail. I left part of the side open so she can stuff it once she gets it.

I repaired one doll carrier and made another using it as a pattern so now the twins each have one. I thought I took a photo of them but I can't find it so maybe I was dreaming. I also hemmed some drapes and now my list is a fairly short one. I just want to get the quilt on the frame.

More later...

Friday, February 2, 2018


I have been doing a bit of knitting lately. My middle daughter, Maili, wanted a headband (I showed it in a previous post) with a twist in the front and made with reflective yarn. The only place I know of that sells it is Lens Mill store and so I picked up a couple of different colours because I also wanted to make some arm bands for those bicyclists and runners in the family.

This is the yarn label.

This is one of the headbands I made. It's a turquoise colour for my youngest daughter.

It's an easy pattern and you can make it with any chunky yarn. I made one with 20 stitches but Maili liked the one I made using 18 stitches better. The pattern I used stated that you make the cable in the front after knitting straight (in stocking stitch) for 10.5 inches but I tried it on my own head while I was making it and 10 inches was enough. The looseness of the yarn and stitches gives it enough stretch and I didn't want it falling off.

This is what happens at night when light hits it. The yarn is woven with reflective thread and hopefully, will alert night drivers that there is a person under there. I have made arm bands for the male members of the family and I have more yarn to make more headbands or arm bands. The yarn comes in lots of different colours - bright orange, lime green, gray, black, off white, etc. so there is something for everyone's taste. Since it's a chunky yarn, the knitting (or crocheting) will go quickly.

Here's a shot of my knitting basket for the past couple of months.

As you can see, the flash from the camera lit up the reflective yarns.