Friday, December 29, 2017

Last minute little things

Just before Christmas I was quite busy. The cookies never got baked because I didn't have time to make them. The festive cookie jars were out but they were empty. There was enough of other things to snack on. I may make some cookies later - or I might not. There are way too many other things to occupy my time with. Here are a few things that got made just before Christmas.

One fat quarter, some extra wide bias tape and little Teemu has his very own apron. He loves corn, by the way.

This is a hooded towel. The outer fabric is soft, warm flannel and the lining of course, is toweling material. I bought towels and cut them up because it was less expensive than buying toweling fabric.

I had a lot of flannel so I didn't have to buy any.

I only had to decide who gets what flannel. I made 6 altogether.

One towel didn't have enough fabric for the whole thing so I used another towel for the hood. They weren't hard to make - just time consuming. A lot of straight stitching. All of them are top-stitched too.

Little Wren needed some soother strings. These were made after Christmas.

Little Teemu was visiting yesterday and had a runny nose so he would get a tissue but I noticed that under his nose, his lip was red. I had him choose the fabric for his very own handkerchiefs. These are flannel.

I had some leftover flannel with animals on it but then, when I showed him these, he wanted the doughnuts. So, that's what he got. The flannel is so much gentler and softer for his nose.

And lastly, my daughter Maili wanted a headband with a twist in the front.

So, I finished this yesterday. It's made from Red Heart's Reflective Yarn. I had made arm bands with the same kind of yarn before but Maili wanted a headband. It shines at night when light hits it so if she is out walking, running or riding her bike, hopefully, she'll be seen.

It's too cold these days to be doing much of anything outside so I'm concentrating on finishing up some projects. We've had some snow too.

I hope everyone had a joyous Christmas with family and friends.

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Just a little update

Here's the last mug rug I made. The little Dresden plate was made a couple of years ago and I finally got to use it. I had always meant to make it into a mug rug but it never got finished - until now.

The colour is not that good in this photo. 
I enjoyed making all the mug rugs.

This is one of the wheelchair quilts that Marg and I are making.

This is the other one. We cut the backing for both but won't start quilting them until the New Year. We thought one was more feminine and the other could be used by a male.

I finished this blanket for little Atticus. It's been delivered so I can show it now. It took one whole ball of yarn - not my favourite acrylic.

These are two little dresses that I just finished for the twins. I hope they like them. They are made out of knit fabric that is brushed on the reverse so it's nice and soft against their skin.

I've still got some things on my list of sewing and knitting so hopefully, I can get something finished this coming week.

The temperature is a bit milder for the next couple of days. Perhaps it will be warm enough to melt the little bit of snow we have.
Try not to stress over the holidays. If you don't get everything done, that's OK. Just do the important things on your list first and all will be good.

Monday, December 4, 2017

'Thank You' mug rugs

What is your 'go to' gift for a thank you? Does it depend on who it's for? What if you don't know much about the person but want to do something for them?

I decided I'd like to make mug rugs. I don't know the people to whom these are going but I have met most of them - they are nurses.

This was the first one I made. It was a free pattern/tutorial that I came across while searching for patterns. I made mine one inch longer and I used bias tape for the black keys because they gave a better finish than just cut and fused fabric.
Here's the pattern:

Another idea I got off the internet. It was from a search on Craftsy. My colours are much richer than the mug rug I saw.

I liked making crazy stars or maverick stars and since I had a lot of one colour already in a pile, I just went for it. Again, the idea came from something I saw on the internet.

This is why I had a bunch of purples already in a pile. The pattern is from Fat Cat Patterns. I am a pattern tester and since the mug rugs were mainly for nurses, I thought it was appropriate.

Another one in blues.

A group shot. I have one more to finish up and hopefully, I will remember to take a photo and post it.

Some sites you might want to get inspiration from: