Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Something old and something new

A belated Happy New Year!

Now that the holiday season is officially over, I have time to get some sewing and knitting done.

My eldest son Mark, turned 40 last week (January 2nd) and he had a party for family and friends at a legion just after Christmas. A fun time was had by all and there was a time when his friends, siblings and wife spoke about him. Some roasted him and others thanked him for being the person he was. I was asked by his middle sister Maili, to re-make a hat that he wore in his younger days.


This is the hat. He made it himself years ago (I don't remember how old he was) out of fabrics from my stash. He does know how to use a sewing machine. (this is a photo of a photo)

This was found in my stash just before I started working on the hat.

It doesn't show up so well but this is the actual fabric my son used to make his hat. It's a light green. I was amazed when I pulled the fabric out off the shelf in my sewing room. He didn't use a pattern but just cut into the fabric and lo and behold, I still had this! I was so happy to have found this because I used it as a template. He has a big head and I didn't quite know how I was going to make those points and have them turn out to meet evenly but I guess luck was with me.

Here's my son-in-law David trying the hat on once I finished it.

Another angle. It appears as if he has a big head himself.

See what I mean? It's a big hat - modelled here by my youngest daughter Ayla with her little son, Atticus. We were so glad that they could all join us for Christmas this year.

The birthday boy himself wearing his old/new hat, a vest he made himself years ago and the shoes he wore to his wedding over 12 years ago. His brother Eric was host to his roast and one of his old scouting friends, Matt is waiting his turn to say a few words.

Here's another photo of the vest. The two sides are very different and vary in length. He's also wearing toy binoculars from years past. (apologies for the blurry photo)

All in all, a good time was had by everyone who attended. To celebrate his 40th birthday, Mark went to Yellowknife for 5 days. Yes, it is winter and yes, it was cold but then again, he went to Whitehorse for his 30th and got background material for his published novel, Snowman. 

I do believe that hat was the last thing I made in 2018. I repaired some very worn out jeans and shorts but we won't go there. I still have some skirts to hem and other garment sewing to do but I am also working on a few quilts.

More to come.

8 comments:

  1. To find that fabric, Wow, what joy. They look so happy, taking turns to speak,and get lots of laughs from you all.Where did those yeas go? Cold, yes so true, but you do have cold winters up there, far more so than anywhere down here.r

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously the 'new old' hat was a meant to be project - and what a good sport he was to wear it! Sounds like an amazing party, one which created lots of great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post. Thank you for sharing your son's birthday. Looks like he's having fun. Amazing you had the fabric - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a nice family story. I can believe you would still have the fabric; don't waste anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so fun that you still had the fabrics. It seems to make the memories that much more endearing. Happy birthday to your son! --Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Mark!!!!!! LOVE the hat, and that's amazing that you found the actual fabric!! Ayla looks so happy, little Atticus is a darling. Happy New Year Dolores!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Mark! Love the hat and those shoes:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you all had a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.