Tuesday, May 31, 2022

New quilt

I finally had time to get my granddaughter's quilt top done. It will be quilted later this summer. Life just kept getting in the way.

This pattern is called Giraffe Family by Sew Fresh Quilts. I have several of her patterns but this is the first time I have made one.

First of all, my granddaughter likes giraffes - just like her mom. The original quilt is suppose to depict a mom, dad and baby giraffe but I made it to depict my granddaughter and her two older twin sisters. One twin likes blue, the other one has pink as her favourite colour and it just so happens that if you combine the colours, you get purple or mauve and that's her favourite colour.

On a side note, my trusty, faithful, circa 1980s Kenmore sewing machine stopped working and gave me an 'Er' status when I tried to sew. Luckily, I have a couple of back-up machines. I made some burp cloths for my youngest daughter and as I was sewing the flannel corners on my Singer, I bent and broke the neede because it didn't like going through 8 layers. I changed the needle and bang, another bent needle. Change again and the same thing happened. I then gave up on that machine and took the needle out. No sooner did I do that and I put the needle back in. I wanted to take the machine in for repair and this way, I could more easily describe what was wrong with it. My Jenome Jem then finished the job and I am now reading instead of sewing. I know I need a new machine but I have to find a cabinet model and a machine that doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles - features and stitches I won't use much, if at all.

2 comments:

  1. The giraffe sisters look sweet, this will be a lovely and loved quilt. - What a nuisance, the trouble with your sewing machine. Maybe it can be fixed easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little giraffes are so cute--neat pattern. sorry to hear about your machine; ones without all the bells and whistles are hard to find I think...I haven't used even 1/10th of the stitches on mine really...but it sews nicely. Good luck on your quest Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.