Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Knitting squares and yarn

There is a group of three women in Ontario who are putting together a knitted blanket in memory of those who died of the Covid-19 virus. Here is the article. It is hoped that these squares are made by individuals across the country using a certain yarn (to be consistant) and a certain size. The colour doesn't matter but there is one colour (turquoise) that is being used especially for those essential workers who have passed away. I thought I could probably make a 12 inch square and I did.


I ordered this from Yarn Canada. They didn't have my first choice or my second choice so I let the sales person choose a colour.


I also purchased these from Yarn Canada.


This is the yarn. It's the worsted weight. There are so many different colours to choose from but since there are so many knitters doing the squares, some colours are sold out.


That first square went so quickly (relatively speaking) that I went out and bought two more skeins. This time I decided to buy locally (meaning I could go and pick it up instead of waiting for it in the mail.) This blue (azure) and the gray (smoke) were just two of the many colours that were not sold out. Right now there are only a charcoal and mocha colour left.


I also took a trip to a shop to get more elastics and came home with these. I wanted to make a baby outfit or a blanket using the patterns from Warm Baby Project in the UK. The mini balls I use to make my rainbow blankets. I don't know if I want to use navy again or if maybe I'll use a gray with the little yarn balls.

It's all keeping me busy and occupied. I have lots of projects on the go and even more on a list.
The Harry Potter scarf that I started in England and finally finished has been delivered and received. My grandson liked it. I did try to block it but with not much success. It still curled inward.

4 comments:

  1. That will be a really big blanket! Edges like in your square would help a scarf not to curl, or a knit one, purl one surface that would also look the same on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great idea. It will be a massive amount of effort when it's completed.

    Those tiny balls of yarn are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Legal Services for business and life. Find a lawyer, get fixed priced legal work and make your legal life easier with company entity software and lawyer search.

    Best Lawyers Near me
    Legal Service Software Australia
    Australian Lawyers Directory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yarn Canada is my go-to place for online orders although the shipment I got the other day wasn't one that I cared for. I had ordered Red Heart Super Saver with the plans to make mittens and discovered they've changed their manufacturing process and the new version is stiff as a board. Not usable at all. So...we got in the car and drove to Barrie this afternoon so i could go to Len's Mills. Love that store - but it's so far to drive!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.