Thursday, September 19, 2013

Another 16-patch

I didn't need to start another quilt. I really didn't but...

I came across this pattern. I was going to throw it away or put it in a pile of stuff to donate to the guild but then, I started reading the instructions. It's a scrap quilt and I do have a whole lot of scraps. It's called Auntie Alice and is supposed to be scrappy, red and beige - not me at all.

The pattern calls for 18 blocks of 16 squares measuring 2.5 inches. The block will finish at  8.5 inches. Sounds familiar indeed. Those are the same dimensions as my colourful 16-patch that I am currently putting together. As you can see from the pattern, these blocks will be set on point and so after looking at the pattern and hemming and hawing, I decided to dive into my scraps and make a definite diagonal pattern to my 16-patch scrappy blocks.

The pattern also calls for 17 blocks cut 4.5 inches square. While I was ironing, I came across this piece of fabric so I took it downstairs to my sewing den and measured it. It's approximately 14" X 34" and that would yield more than enough squares for this project. I was sort of determined to use this piece. I don't know why but it just said 'use me.' I was prepared to find something else that went with it in case there wasn't enough fabric in this piece and I needed a few extra blocks. The pattern has these 4.5" squares in a red and since I am not a red person, navy seemed perfect. Also, I am planning on using a gray instead of the beige stated in the pattern for the sashing which measures at 8.5" X 4.5" which makes sense since those are the measurements of the blocks I have mentioned so far. I'm thinking of going scrappy navy with the outside triangles but since I'm not there yet, I will make a decision later. It's all about using up what I have.

It's probably a lap size and even though I don't need another quilt that size, perhaps one of my children will like it enough to use it once it's finished. The instructions don't give the final dimensions. It's a freebie pattern from The Quilt Patch that I received several years ago and I only came upon it because I was looking for another pattern. I really need to do some paper recycling in the pattern department. There is no way I am going to make all the things that I photocopied...once upon a time.

6 comments:

  1. I think it'll look great. You could make it bigger if you wanted by adding borders - just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean by saving patterns; with me it's quilt magazines. This design is nice to use up fabric. I love patchwork quilts. Sounds like you're doing a good job of using up stash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed with the beautiful ways you use up your scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect reason to make another quilt! If a pattern inspires you, the quilt will be finished in no time. Using up fabrics is so rewarding. I love making new things "from nothing".

    ReplyDelete
  5. you can never have too many lap quilts can you??? and yes, it's a pleater which could be used for smocking....a ''princess pleater''...if you google them they have a website....have a brilliant Sunday!!
    http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great scrap quilt! You can never have too many of those.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.