Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Finished

It feels so good to have finished a project completely. 

All the little ends have been woven in and I have thrown out the very small little pieces of yarn that was left. The reason there is only one green stripe in the pattern instead of two is because I was short of yarn and I so I used up what I had on hand. The orange is short by two rows also but you will never realize it unless you look for it.

 And this pre-printed baby panel I showed earlier, stretched on the frame, became...

 this and is now...

this little quilt all done. It even has a label. My friend Marg always said that it's not a quilt until it's quilted.
I will pack it away until closer to the baby's due date which is in November.


I have begun other things. I started knitting a baby pullover because I wanted to do some hand work now that I finished the crocheting. While cleaning up a hat/mitten/scarf cupboard, I came across some yarn packages I purchased a long time ago. Canadians will understand when I say that the yarn is Lady Fair which was an Eaton's store brand. 

The Eaton's chain, which opened in 1869, closed down in 1999 and I know for a fact that I bought the yarn quite a bit before then.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eaton%27s
If you take a look at the wikipedia site and scroll down, you will see a gorgeous big house that was purchased through the Eaton's Catalogue and sent as a kit. I loved going to Eaton's and especially Eaton's bargain store (Eaton's Annex - thanks Cathi) which was located behind the original store in Toronto. There was a basement walkway from the main store to the Annex and, even though it always seemed hot down there, they sold ice cream and hot dogs. The other reason I liked the Annex  was because it had the really, really old escalator. It was only wide enough for one person to stand on. I remember one time I had on my ratty old running shoes that I had painted and part of one shoe got caught as I was about to leave. I managed to retrieve it and my foot but one of the salesladies said that I should report it and get a new pair. I didn't want a new pair and was way too shy to make a ruckus of the fact that I actually walked around with torn running shoes so the fault was partly mine. Eventually, both Eaton's and Simpson's (another big department store chain located across the street from Eaton's) got rid of all their fabric, needlepoint and yarn. That really was sad.

Well, I'm off to work on other things. Have a great week. We are stuck in heat and humidity but I do love central air.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, you brought back some memories of the old Eaton's store! I loved that rickety old escalator and the bargains to be found in the annex. When I was in college, I worked at Eaton's part time so got to know all the little nooks and crannies rather well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Cape Breton! A quick scroll through your most recent posts was quite delightful. I'll return. ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your post about Eaton's reminds me of Punkin Head? Remember him? He was the mascot in the Santa Claus parade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you have been busy! Have you started the smocking yet...go on, you know you want to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always so satisfying to finish projects; especially when they turn out so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have great memories of back-to-school shopping at Eatons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely quilt this has become!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are on a roll there Grandma!! Good for you!!! I'm still plugging away at baby items... 8-)
    Afghan looking wonderful, as is the baby quilt Dolores!! Looking forward to seeing the pullover...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.