Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My current project

This is the quilt that I am going to finish next. Most of the fabrics have come from my stash and some of my fat quarters got all used up. Turquoise is my favourite colour and it just so happens that it's Ayla's favourite too. She wanted the brown in there as an accent and since I didn't have many browns, those are the only bits I had to purchase.

Tentatively called Ayla's Escape, it's an adaptation of an Atkinson Design called Fire Escape. Once I got the 60" X 72" lap throw top finished, Ayla wanted it a foot longer so I had to find the fabrics to finish it (I started this last year) and I had to figure out how to change the pattern. The browns were fat quarters but since I had none left, and the quilt store where I initially bought them no longer had any of the same, I had to get something close. I managed to add the 12" without having to use any of the extra turquoise/blue fabrics that I thought I would have to use. Good thing too since it would have meant that I would have had to introduce something that wasn't in the body of the quilt. I gave myself a pat on the back.

This is now what's holding up production - the addition of a small border. She wants that white in the same width as the squares and since my browns are limited, I headed on over to the local Fabricland and found this.

 Brown with blue polka dots. Personally, I think it adds interest and there won't be that much showing anyway. It's not my quilt though.

I'm linking up with the Needle and Thread Network. Go have a look at what others are doing.

22 comments:

  1. Gosh, you're clever. I just don't think I will ever make a quilt.Great gift for a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the brown with blue polka dots. I think it would be perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very elegant quilt! Turqoise is not my favorite colour, but after seeing your top... I surely change my mind ;o) The polka dot fabric is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Clever work with the extra inches. The dotty brown is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dolores, this is gorgeous, lucky Ayla!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's gorgeous! love the turquoise. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you clever girl, this is gorgeous!!! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is beautiful, Dolores! Love the pattern. Very subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen that pattern before, it's lovely! I also love the colours and the brown border with blue polka dot finishes it perfectly.

    Dolores, I've been meaning to ask you, where was that picture taken, the one you have as your header? I'm trying to place the area! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. a well deserved pat on the back I would say! This is so lovely and looks amazing, the pattern and colour...and just in case you missed the answer I gave on my blog...I eyeball it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the palette and the bargello look of this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is nice!!!! I really like the colors

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great design!
    Stay inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi Delores, that looks beautiful! Also, I think that the alphabet quilt is going to be an interesting project. Isn;t it reassuring to have a long term project that you can work on whenever you need something simple to do, m

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great, Dolores! Looks slightly Escher-esque. Very cool! I like the brown polkadots too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a striking quilt! Turquoise is a colour I definitely do not love, but with the brown it looks good, I'll have to try that combination.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like this one Dolores! The colours are perfect and I think you've pulled it all together with the brown/blue polka dot fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt and you have done a wonderful job of making it bigger without changing the design! I like the brown print too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Most fave colours! Excellent choices and brilliant put togetherness! You must be very pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's beautiful, Dolores - love the colours you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think the polka dots set it off beautifully. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.