Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Why I sew


My grandsons Patric and Luc wearing their new super hero capes.

This was taken the day they received the package that held a few surprises for them. Capes and candy. I don't know which they liked better.
Patric running with his cape flying.

These are the ones I love to sew for - along with their cousins.

I also like to sew just because.

I purchased this piece of upholstery fabric with a project in mind. I found it on a shelf at the Eversoft outlet where I purchase my quilt batting, pillow forms, cat beds and stuffing. There were other upholstery pieces there and they were all extremely well priced.

These pillow forms had been sitting in my closet on the shelf for decades (out of sight, out of mind, sort of.) My son and his wife recently purchased new living room chairs and the fabric had some rust circles on it. I thought that they needed some accent pillows.
Believe it or not I had never put a zipper in a cushion cover before. My mom always sewed the end shut and when it needed washing, out came the little scissors and she cut all the hand sewing, washed it and sewed it shut once again (so that's what I always did until I started making them envelope style.) I didn't need to purchase any zippers because I had two that were longer than I needed in a closely matching colour. I watched a wonderful video on you tube (made by a a pillow factory) that showed how to insert a zipper into the seam. I know I could have figured it out but watching the video was great.
I hope they like the pillows.

I'm linking up with The Needle and Thread Network. Go have a look to see what the other Canadians are up to this week.

13 comments:

  1. The boys love their cape. Well done Nana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must love seeing your work appreciated and enjoyed so much. My mom always sewed close her pillow covers as well. I think for her it was more economical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great capes! Nothing like a grandma to bring joy to a young super hero!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very very cute and happy they look! Flying hero's!
    And it is always so much easier to watch a video. Then you know exactly the steps to make. Makes life comfortable (o:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I bet Patric and Luc LOVE those capes. What fun they will have with them!! :)
    Great job on the pillows. Videos are always helpful aren't they? Most of us are visual learners, so watching the step by step process is a good thing, as Martha would say!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a GREAT Granny you are! Those little men are VERY lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos of your grandsons in their superhero capes made me smile. Such joy! The pillows are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flying capes, what grand fun. Those cushions look great, and zips in perfectly. Gone are the days when we made our own frocks that all had zips, down the back, in the front, and so often in the left side seam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad the superheroes enjoyed their capes. I think that makes you a supergran.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful super heroes! They are the best reason for sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's the absolute best reason to sew that I know of! Our little one isn't old enough for such things as yet, but I have plans!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at those boys go - what an awesome Grandma you are!!! I love the pillows. I've never heard of sewing them shut, then cutting them open to be washed - but it sounds like something learned during the great depression.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post, and your photos are lovely! Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.