As with a lot of you out there, I am completing some things that were started but then, for one reason or another, were left unfinished.
I had photocopied the pattern for this little sweater soon after I found out that I was to be a grandmother for the first time. It looked like it was doable once I got a few easier knitting things done. I hadn't knitted since my children were really little. The remarks on the photo were a reminder to myself as to what kind of yarn to use and how much of it I needed. It just happened that I had purchased some burgundy worsted weight yarn when I was in Williams Lake, B. C. visiting my little grandson Luc for the first time.
I finally started it last year but then Christmas came and went and I had no time, nor the inclination to work on it. Then I decided that if I wanted to start something new for Luc's sibling, due at the end of March, then I should really finish something. This has been my evening project while watching TV and I have just one more sleeve to knit. I do love the pattern and it is easy but involves counting so there has been some 'going back a few stitches.' I don't want to say unknitting because I haven't had to undo any rows - just a few stitches. I have no idea who it will be for so after it's complete, it will join some of the other knitted things that I have been collecting.
I want to make a matinee jacket in pure white (Debbie Bliss Cashmerino) for the new baby. I don't know what the yarn is like but I have read that it is soft.
I have also been busy sewing. These are little doll quilts that I have made using up some scraps, unwanted blocks and quilter's candy - you know those little 4", 5", 6" or 7" squares you get when you attend quilt shows? I have them in a clear plastic shoe box and wondered how best to use them up. Making doll quilts was the perfect solution. Also, I have some old fabrics that have been sitting on my shelves for years and I was all set to donate more to charity but then I figured they would make great backings. I also have some flat batting to use up. Some of the batting is cotton and others are a combination. I'm not a fan of hand quilting with it so this is, again, the perfect oppportunity to use it up. It does feel so good to use up what I have and make something useful. So far, I have not purchased any quilt fabric this year and I will continue to dig into my scraps and other fabrics to use up what I have. Although I did purchase some yarn recently, I will be trying to use up what I have in that department also. There is quite a bit of chunky yarn that needs a project so I guess little Luc will be getting another sweater this year.
I finished quilting this last year in August but had to put it away because I went to B.C. in September. Then, when I came home, I forgot about it. October came and went and then little Luc and his mom came for a visit. After they left, I had to get ready for Christmas. I finally stumbled upon it and realized that it was not finished. So now, it is totally complete. The binding got sewn on and there is a label on the back. It was a freebie online pattern called Juniper Hollow from McCall's Magazine several years ago.
I'm slowly working on making a few more doll quilts (I'll show them when they are done) and I'm also adding to my 16 patch quilt.
I love all the different colours. I'm just going to plug away at this and make two at a time when I feel I need an infusion of colour. I'm also going to be working on a new baby quilt. I have to hustle with that one.
My weekend is going to be a busy one and I hope yours will be creative and fun.
Well, it seems that uploading photos is hit and miss these days. Loads of bloggers have been complaining and I couldn't upload this morning either. However, I switched computers and now I am using Firefox and things are back to normal.
I have every intention of completing things that have been started but while I was searching my pdfs for something, I came across Bunny Hill's 2011 block of the month, Henrietta Whiskers. I did not follow along and do the blocks every month when they were posted. Those that did, uploaded their photos onto a Flikr site and I have been perusing it. There are some imaginative people out there. I decided to begin my quilt mainly because I liked the squirrel and we have quite a few around here.
Not all the pieces are sewn together in this photo but I have now prepped all the blocks for the applique. There is some embroidery involved, hence the hoop. I just dove into my scraps to make these. I liked what other people did with their applique and I will take what I want out of the pdfs and create as I go along. I really didn't understand the stars in all the pumpkins in the original. We shall see what evolves as I slowly work on this.
My red Amaryllis gave me six beautiful blooms. Once these are gone I may purchase some tulip or daffodil bulbs.
After record breaking warm weather, we are back to colder days. Still great walking weather - makes you walk faster to keep warm.
I'll be back with some other things I am working on.
I purchased this Amaryllis sometime before Christmas. It was a good price and I needed some colour in my kitchen.
Isn't it pretty? Delicate colours and I like the name too - Apple Blossom. It took a long time to start, at least it seemed like a long time. Perhaps it wasn't warm enough in my kitchen. Anyway, I have been watching with bated breath the last couple of days because the buds were about to open.
Well, looky here. Nothing like like picture on the box at all. A deep red Amaryllis is what I got. I'm not complaining but it definitely is different from what I was waiting for. It has at least 5 blooms and they seem to be opening up at different times. I must say, it is a nice surprise. My kitchen now has some colour - a great Christmas colour.
Note: I did put on word verification for a bit since I was getting so many wonderful emails filled with gibberish from Anonymous. I'll take it off after awhile.