Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Busy

As with a lot of you out there, I am completing some things that were started but then, for one reason or another, were left unfinished.

I had photocopied the pattern for this little sweater soon after I found out that I was to be a grandmother for the first time. It looked like it was doable once I got a few easier knitting things done. I hadn't knitted since my children were really little. The remarks on the photo were a reminder to myself as to what kind of yarn to use and how much of it I needed. It just happened that I had purchased some burgundy worsted weight yarn when I was in Williams Lake, B. C. visiting my little grandson Luc for the first time.
 
I finally started it last year but then Christmas came and went and I had no time, nor the inclination to work on it. Then I decided that if I wanted to start something new for Luc's sibling, due at the end of March, then I should really finish something. This has been my evening project while watching TV and I have just one more sleeve to knit. I do love the pattern and it is easy but involves counting so there has been some 'going back a few stitches.' I don't want to say unknitting because I haven't had to undo any rows - just a few stitches. I have no idea who it will be for so after it's complete, it will join some of the other knitted things that I have been collecting.
I want to make a matinee jacket in pure white (Debbie Bliss Cashmerino) for the new baby. I don't know what the yarn is like but I have read that it is soft.
 
I have also been busy sewing. These are little doll quilts that I have made using up some scraps, unwanted blocks and quilter's candy - you know those little 4", 5", 6" or 7" squares you get when you attend quilt shows? I have them in a clear plastic shoe box and wondered how best to use them up. Making doll quilts was the perfect solution. Also, I have some old fabrics that have been sitting on my shelves for years and I was all set to donate more to charity but then I figured they would make great backings. I also have some flat batting to use up. Some of the batting is cotton and others are a combination. I'm not a fan of hand quilting with it so this is, again, the perfect oppportunity to use it up. It does feel so good to use up what I have and make something useful. So far, I have not purchased any quilt fabric this year and I will continue to dig into my scraps and other fabrics to use up what I have. Although I did purchase some yarn recently, I will be trying to use up what I have in that department also. There is quite a bit of chunky yarn that needs a project so I guess little Luc will be getting another sweater this year.
 
I'm linking up with The Needle and Thread Network so pop on over to see what other people are working on this week.
 

15 comments:

  1. I love the sweater you are knitting and your doll quilts are an excellent idea for using up all those small bits and bobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wonderful Aunt, who passed away 3weeks ago in her mid 90s., taught me to sew, embroider, crochet and knit. I picked-up easily on all but the knitting; tension control was beyond me! Back when I was about 16yrs (70s) I decided to knit a denim blue coloured, v-neck sweater, to make her proud. It took me one year to complete. When I finally had sewn it together and went back up north (what I call home) to show her one weekend, she looked it over with a loving smile, then handed it back and told me to "throw it out"!
    Needles to say...anyone who can knit beautifully has my admiration. So GOOD on ya!
    I'm enjoying quilting and love your blog.
    Cheers from Oshawa,Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knitting makes me tense...lol. Nice that you enjoy it. I love the doll quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute little sweater.Love the colour. I haven't tried knitting a sweater yet but I want to try someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get tense like Marjorie. I can do doll quilts though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems you are a very competent knitter NANA :-) I will leave it all to you :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dolores, lovely doll's quilts, lovely designs that go so well with the small sizes. Cheers from Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you when it comes to 'using up the stash'! I'm such a hoarder of fabric, wool, threads, etc. It is so satisfying to actually make a hole in it!

    Lovely little baby cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely sweater, and I love the little doll quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those doll quilts. I could probably manage to finish something that size, but big quilt projects scare me.

    I wish I was a well behaved as you. I keep thinking I should use up my paper and card and craft bits, but I just can't bring myself to cut into some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. * as well behaved... I wish I could type, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The doll quilts are such a sweet project and a great use for scraps. The sweater looks wonderful. I'm looking forward to seeing the white sweater, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I laughed when you said that you haven't bought any fabric yet this year, given that we are only 24 days in! But then I laughed more when I realized that I already have bought fabric this year, and a lot of it, too! C'est la vie. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The baby cardigan is going to be so pretty. Well done with your doll quilt production line! It is very satisfying to use up odd fabrics and rests of batting, like creating something useful for free. I too try to use my fabrics instead of buying new ones.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.