When we were going through our stash, we came across some orphan blocks. What we were actually looking for were bright coloured fabrics to make a couple of zig zag quilts using blocks of two colours - similar to the rail fence. Anyway, we had 3 maverick (or crazy) star blocks that were 12 inches and 10 stars that were 6 inches. What on earth does one do with only 10 stars?
I didn't know but Marg said to put six of them together and then use four for the corners in the border. Sounded good to me. Then we had to make it bigger. Since the quilt was only going to be crib size, we didn't need much so we decided to make strip borders.
The first border was going to be mauve and then this pink but Marg didn't like the pink in that position. However, once the pink was put on first, she liked it. Simple solution.
I then thought that we could frame it in purple. (We are trying to use up some of our stash at the same time that we are trying to make this into a decent-sized crib quilt.) This is a purple that has too much blue in it.
They do look the same but this one had more red in it and so we chose it. We were going to make a bunch of borders in these fabrics.
Looking good. We didn't want the purple border to be too wide.
Just before we called it quits for the night, I laid the other blocks in the corners, on top of the mauve. We had the measurements we needed so I wanted to see how it would look but then Marg said we should just leave it with a wide mauve border and if we needed more width and length, we could then add the dark pink (or purple or light pink.)
So, that's what we did. I cut the mauve strips and next week we shall continue.
Then we will be working on the 3 star blocks that were 12 inches. More borders - but this time, they will be prints.
Creativity strikes again. We didn't end up using up any fabric but we did get the orphans homes.
I think we even managed to find backing fabric.