Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Baby quilt #1

This is what's on the frame at the moment.


A Care Bear panel. I have had it in my stash for quite a few years now and my daughter-in-law, Kate, claimed it way back when. She has a collection of Care Bears. Kate and my son Mark are expecting twins in October and the other quilt panel that has been chosen is totally different but equally nice.

This is the flannel backing I used. The future parents don't want to know if the babies are boys or girls so it will be a surprise to everyone when they arrive. Needless to say, both sides of the family are very happy and excited.

I have been itching to knit some baby hats so I think I'll make a bunch so that there's a variety. With all the free patterns on the internet, I don't think I'll get bored. I'm sure that there is a hospital out there that could use some and I've got a lot of yarn to use up.

 Instant gratification. This just took an evening to complete and that's just because I had to find my double pointed needles and I have a kitty that just loves to claim my lap whenever I sit down.

  I can't remember if I had made the pattern before but I suppose I have. This first one turned out a bit stiff.

 The one on the right is the first one I made with 3.75 mm needles and the one on the left is exactly the same pattern with the same number of stitches but with number 5mm needles. I have no idea where the pink yarn came from but it was something that caught my eye when I went looking in the stash.

I'm linking up with The Needle and Thread Network and Esther's blog this week.

13 comments:

  1. When you have a nice collection of hats you can start knitting tiny socks and mittens. The babies will need mittens as soon as they are out. I like the idea of secrecy about the gender of the newcomers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting time and such sweet projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm knitting hats and mittens too! Grandbaby is due in November.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Few things are cuter than baby hats. The quilts are very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute hats. I love the pointy tops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything baby related is always fun to do:) I love the care bear panel...very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought the Care Bears were cute so nice to see that they're still around. Sweet little hats...hopefully at least one of the wee ones will be able to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. aah! Double the fun is ahead for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. twins? Oh my....no babies at all for ages and now you're going to have them coming out of your ears!! Congratulations, wonderful news :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, these little hats are just too cute!

    Thanks again for making me a cup quilt, and I do apologize for the endless iphone emails... darn thing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.