Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Something new and something old

Not only have I been sewing for little ones lately, I also made a dress for my daughter.

My middle daughter, Maili, had this fabric. It's a cotton knit and was from my stash. She was supposed to make herself something out of it. She even had some of my patterns.

I made the dress for her. It has snaps instead of buttons and a tie belt.
For some reason the fabric was a pain to sew through. I ended up with very little fabric left over. Enough for maybe a pocket or two and that's it. I'm always glad when fabric gets used up.

In that vein, I used up a little piece of flannel and made a pillow for one of the grandchildren. The little ones now sleep with pillows and every once in a while they sleep over or have naps here. The flannel is soft and I have quite a bit of stuffing so this worked out well. So well in fact, that I made two more using up small bits of flannel.

And now, something from my past. 
I crocheted this little dress almost 40 years ago for my eldest daughter, Laila. I don't crochet much and this little garment is mostly the popcorn stitch. I knew I didn't have enough of one colour to finish the whole thing and that's why it's pink and mauve. There are three faded pink buttons on the back. I have not crocheted anything for quite some time and wonder if I could replicate this. Sometimes I amaze myself at what I have done in the past.

This lowly little white shirt, badly in need of ironing and made of white polyester/cotton, has to be my favourite garment of all time.

I had forgotten what buttons I used.

Aren't they cute?

This is the back. I made this for my eldest son Mark. He wore it in junior kindergarten.

I have no idea where I got the little ducky drawing from. My son liked to wear bow ties and this little ducky has a puffy one. I stuffed it so it would have some dimension.
I don't know if one of the little grandchildren will wear this shirt but I am thinking of re-creating the ducky on another little garment.

 There may be a few more garments from the past that I will show. I haven't kept a lot of the things that I made over the years - just a few.

3 comments:

  1. Just like my mother! She used to make garments of fabric so there was just tiny scraps left. Either she knew exactly how much she needed to buy or she made a dress of a fabric bought for a shirt. The treasures from your own kids' childhood are wonderful memories and I hope you can find ways to use them for the new generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dolores! Cute memories! Love that little ducky. I have attempted crochet a few times but with no success. Guess quilting is my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, what lovely little items and just goes to show how mothers are creative and inspired by their little ones to make things. Making clothes is something I so admire.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.