Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Moving on to something new

Just before the first day of Spring, I bought some tulips for myself. They came in handy because I don't have to search for a different header photo or ask one of my family members if they have something suitable. The snow has gone but there aren't any bulbs coming up in my garden so these tulips were really nice.

I still have the quilt on the frame to complete but I really, really wanted to sew on the sewing machine. I wanted to start a new quilt and having attended the York Heritage Quilt Guild meeting last night gave me some inspiration. I came home and searched for patterns that I wanted to work on. Something not too detailed or strenuous. Since I have a lot of red fabrics already sorted, and since Quilts at the Creek is featuring red and white quilts this year in honour of Canada's 150th birthday, and also, since I don't normally work in red, I decided to make a red and white quilt. Here's what I came up with.

This is the beginning of a herringbone quilt. The inspiration came from Christa's free pattern. I get stingy with my white cotton fabric and I found a piece that I could use up. I'm sure I could have made the white scrappy if I needed more white but I wanted to use up this one particular piece. I could have cut 6" squares but I didn't. I decided to see exactly how I could best use up the piece and found that there would be very little waste or leftover if I bumped up the squares to 7" and that's what I did. There were just slivers of the fabric left from cutting the edge so I could have a straight cut. I managed to get 45 squares so we'll see how big this quilt gets. 
I've already got a name for the quilt too - Red Herring.

I'm linking up with The Needle and Thread Network and also with

7 comments:

  1. I like that design, and after the blocks are all done, there could be so many ways to put them together.What a great name. Did you have to go fishing for the reds??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! It'll be lovely, and you've chosen a great name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we're going to see a lot of red & white quilts this year with the 150th birthday going on. You have a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Momentarily you could call you blog 'True Pink Canadian'. I adore tulips!
    Enjoy your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very attractive red/white combination, Dolores. Tulips are my favorite! Yay spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tulips, they are a true sign of spring when there is still snow on the ground and the gardens are asleep.
    I could borrow your pattern idea for a blue and white quilt to celebrate Finland's 100th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tulips are beautiful, and I love the Red Herring name.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.