Friday, October 25, 2024

The next-next generation

Since my children would be the next generation, I have titled this post as the 'next-next' generation. I see my grandchildren often and am lucky enough to babysit them. At times I have tried to show them different crafts that they could do. There is always paper, crayons and markers available. I have even started some of them on needlework. My own children used to do plastic canvas needlepoint and I still have some the pieces they have made. My eldest son actually made a model of his high school in plastic canvas years ago. One of my grandchildren, Esme, has taken to needlework at a very young age. This past summer, when I visited them in Nelson, British Columbia, where they were staying at the time, I brought a small plastic canvas kit. It was actually shown as a cross stitch kit. Esme started it while I was there and when assistance was needed (mainly to thread the needle), I helped out. 

It didn't take long for Esme to figure out how to cross stitch. Here's a photo of the finished piece. The family is now in France. 

Before arriving in France, they were in Barcelona and while there, a small kit was purchased. To remember the family's time in Spain, Esme chose this piece and is hard at work. It's almost finished and I am one happy grandmother (or Mummi.)I was on facetime with Esme and her mom this morning and before hanging up, Esme had to finish the rose. Now, all that's left are cross stitching the leaves. Determination. There are so many other things for Esme to learn - needlepoint, knitting, crocheting, embroidery, wool felting and on and on...

1 comment:

  1. Nelson, B C, I have friends who live very near there, they do come to NZ for a visit occasionally, This summer season ( yours) they left and went to Vancouver to escape the heat and smoke from the wildfires. I have a needlebook that a daughter made SO many years ago, maybe at least 54.!!!Good items last forever, as do memories. Love the young seamstresses.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.